Saturday, August 11, 2012

Chapter 1.1 - "My six brothers and I..."

What time is it? That was a great sleep. Hey, wait a minute... Where am I? I think as I slowly adjust to the light, my body feels heavy, I must've been sleeping for a while...



I slowly descend down the staircase infront of the bed, still confused as to where I am, and how I got here. As I enter the first floor of the building, to my surprise, there is a man standing there. "Oh, hello..." I say in shock.



He turns to me, seeming to also be in shock. "You're awake!" He says cheerfully, his low booming voice echoes throughout the stone building. "Go in the bathroom and wash up, I'll explain everything during dinner." At first I cross my arms reluctantly, but give eventually give in. Still I make no noise, this is all too strange.


I walk into the cold bathroom, the whole house has a pretty cold feeling, actually. I step up to the sink and begin to turn the nozzle, when I catch my reflection in the mirror...


"Oh.. My.. GOSH!" I shriek, staring in astonishment. "My- My face... It's hideous!
 My skin is green! And my body... What happened to me!" I say frantically, disgusted by my appearance.


"Excuse me, mister! What is up with my face! What did you do to me!" I holler, running out of the bathroom. My green fingers curl up in a fist, I'm infuriated.


"Please sit down, I will explain everything. You haven't eaten in weeks, you must be starving." He tells me. Weeks? I think, how long was I sleeping? I take a deep breath and sit down at the table hesitantly, I need answers.


"So, how did this happen to me?" I demand, stuffing my face with salad.

"I honestly do not know. My six brothers and I were travelling through the forest and we found you laying on the ground, there was nothing but a rotten apple beside you. We built this stone house for you, we didn't know where else to bring you. You've been asleep for two weeks. Your- Erm-  Looks have been- Um- Changing ever since. Up until, well, now."

My fork drops to my plate, I stare him in the eyes. "The old lady..." I say, clenching my fists. She gave me that apple, that's when I passed out, she did this to me! I think, then am brought back to reality. The man is looking at me funny, "Some old lady gave me an apple, I bit it, and I guess I passed out... It must have caused.. Well.. This." I fill him in, looking down at my gross body.


"So you just took food from some strange old lady in the middle of the forest?" He asks, raising an eyebrow. I giggle a little, it was quite foolish of me. I stop giggling, remembering my current state brought my mood right back down.

"What am I going to do?" I think out loud, finishing up the rest of my food. I run my fingers through my thick black hair, thank god that's not gone too, I think.

"You are going to live here." He says, looking at me.

"Really? I- I couldn't..." I say, thinking how great it would be to be able to live away from all other people.

"Don't be silly, we built it for you!" He insists, smiling at me.

"Well... If you insist." I say finally, accepting his offer.



"Well, I better be on my way. My brothers are probably expecting me home by now, we've got a farm to tend to." He says as he takes the dishes away. 

Great, now I'm going to be all alone in this cold stone home. My life is over.



He walks towards the door, but stops momentarily. "Oh, by the way, I'm Doc." He says with a smile.

"Snow White." I say simply, and he leaves.



I didn't sleep very well that night, in fact I didn't sleep much at all. I guess I won't be sleeping much after my two week slumber, at least not for a while.


The next morning I headed downstairs for breakfast, searching the fridge for something to eat. I was able to find some flour, suger, eggs, milk and butter, so I decided on pancakes.


As I sat and ate my breakfast, there was a sudden knock on the door. I wonder who that could be... I thought. I stood up and hesitantly approached the door, opening it slowly...



After opening slowly, I saw it was Doc, so I fully opened the door. "Doc.. Hi! I, um, wasn't expecting you..." I say, slightly awkwardly. He gives me a warm smile, laughing slightly at my awkwardness.

"Of course you weren't, silly. I'm here as a surprise!" He says cheerfully, throwing his arms in the air.

"Well, I'm very surprised to see you..." I say, having a bit of weakness in my voice.

He began to laugh a little, "You don't think that I'm the surprise, do you?" He asks, raising an eyebrow. I shake my head quickly, pretending like I knew that. "Just come outside, would you?" He asks, waving me out. I nod and follow him...



"Surprise!" He says enthusiastically, motioning towards the easel. "I stayed up all night making it for you, I figure you can paint, and I'll take the paintings into town and sell them! It's how you can pay for things like food, house materials and such. What do you think?" He asks, smiling confidently.

"I think... It's a great idea! Thank you so much, Doc! It's amazing!" I cheer happily. Finally something to take my mind off my appearance I think.

"Alright, well let's just move it inside, and you can get started. Okay?" He asks, picking up the contraption. I nod in response, moving into the house. I look down at my fingers, they seem to be glowing. It was the first time I'd been outside in weeks, and it felt great.


He carries the easel up to my room, and places it near the window. He looks at me in anticipation, clearly waiting for me to start. I smile faintly and walk up to the easel, and just begin to paint. I literally have no idea what I'm doing, but to be honest... It feels great! It's like I'm just letting all my emotion out onto the piece of paper, and it's releasing all my anger. Just as I'm really getting into it, I remember Doc is right behing me. I turn around slowly, "Well, you'll get the hang of it..." He says, trying not to hurt my feelings. I turn my head back to the paper, staring at the colourfull mess I've created. I look back at Doc and we both burst out in laughter... I guess I'm really not much of an artist.


"Well Snow, I think it's about time I got on my way." Doc says, smiling over at my painting one last time.

"Wh- When will I see you again?" I ask, smiling to cover up the crack in my voice.

"I'll be back in a few days to collect any paintings you've made, but as for right now, my brothers need me at the farm." He says, and with that, he was off.


I watch the tip of his head disappear down the stairs, feeling saddened by his absence. I sigh and turn back to my easel, continuing to paint. Why is he helping me out so much? I'm hideous! I don't even like looking at me. I haven't stepped foot near that mirror ever since my first encounter with it, but he looks at me all the time... I don't get it. Oh stop it Snow, who are you kidding? He's beautiful, and I'm a monster. He's just here because he's too nice not to help me. My thoughts slowly fade off, and my mind is erased. It's just me and the paint, and for the first time since waking up, my mind is at ease.





No comments:

Post a Comment